DESIGNING OR UPDATING YOUR WEBSITE
As you consider your web presence; the first thing you may realize is that even though you have been surfing the web for years, you have not thought much about the structure of the websites. One thing you likely noticed is how difficult or easy a website is to navigate. You certainly noticed if you could find the information you needed.
Most of us find it easy to decide what we do not like. This is a very good place to start.
- Open up your favorite web browser, and then open your preferred search engine. Since Google is the most successful, I recommend starting here.
- In the search box type a topic which is naturally associated with your business.
- Next, open every website on the first page. When you have finished, you will be looking at your ten highest ranking competitors.
If you are not local business, they may or may not be your actual competition. They can be your teachers.
- Now it is time to critique each site or at least the top sites. Here are a few helpful questions.
- What do you think of the following?
- Are the colors appropriate?
- Do you like the layout?
- Is it working as you expect?
- Does it work on your phone?
- Is it easy to find what you want?
- Are there pages that are under construction?
Scroll to the bottom of each page, noting what you like and dislike. Click each of the tabs, and make notes about what you see on each page keeping in mind what you like and what you see and the difference between what you like and what you see. Take notes, and then call us at 806-799-6124 or let us hear from you.